Autodesk Bridge Design for InfraWorks provides the tools to model and design bridges that make engineering sense in the context of the overall infrastructure design project.
It provides a practical representation of a bridge, including:
- structural members such as deck, girders, bearings, abutments, piers, foundations, and piles;
- real numbers to determine bridge cost;
- ability to make small changes to the design.
InfraWorks supports precast I-girder and steel plate girder bridge types with different deck, abutment, pier, girder, and bearing components. Default settings for these concrete and steel bridge types are represented by concrete and steel bridge assemblies within the Bridge catalog of the Style Palette. You can modify the bridge styles or create new ones to apply to your bridge. Bridges can be added to component roads using right-click menu options.
Autodesk Connector for ArcGIS® with InfraWorks
Infraworks allows users to connect GIS data to the bridge BIM model. The Connector for Esri ArcGIS (CfA) makes this process more seamless. All attributes of the GIS data are added to the Infraworks model, making the 3D context more accurate and data rich. With GIS data connected to the digital design model, better decision making and more resilient infrastructure projects are possible. With CfA you can bring ArcGIS datasets into your InfraWorks models, save back edited content, and publish and export InfraWorks data for use in ArcGIS.
- Sign in to ArcGIS;
- Specify an area of interest;
- Choose a dataset;
- Select the InfraWorks feature types to create from the ArcGIS data.
For more information, see To add data from ArcGIS.
Bringing ArcGIS data into your model does not require an ArcGIS account. If you don’t have one, you can access public data. If you do have one, you can also access data from your organization, your groups and data that you create.
Before bringing ArcGIS data into a model with the CfA, install the ArcGIS Projection Engine Data to prevent a coordinate offset from occurring when you bring ArcGIS data into a model. If a model is assigned an unsupported coordinate system, the process will not proceed. The categories of coordinate systems which are not supported are arbitrary X-Y, obsolete, and test only.
Adding data from Connector for ArcGIS to InfraWorks
Use the CfA to add data layers directly to your Autodesk InfraWorks models as configured features. The CfA uses your ArcGIS login information to connect InfraWorks to your ArcGIS data. After you sign in, use the CfA to browse available datasets and add ArcGIS data layers to your InfraWorks models as features. The CfA supports Esri ArcGIS Online and Enterprise portals. InfraWorks features that are supported when adding ArcGIS datasets to an InfraWorks model:
- City Furniture
- Drainage End Structures
- Pipe Connectors
- Points of Interest
- Right of Ways
- Traffic Study Areas
- Water Areas
1. From InfraWorks Home, choose one of the following options:
2. In an InfraWorks model, Click Manage > Content >
A login page will display. You can also open the CfA through the Data Sources panel.
3. Sign in with your ArcGIS credentials. The CfA will open. For an existing InfraWorks model, the CfA displays your current model extents by default.
4. Navigate to your area of interest. Enter a location name, address or point of interest in the search bar. You can also input longitudinal and latitudinal coordinates. Use the mouse to pan and zoom, or use the zoom in/out tools (+/- buttons) to refine your search.
5. Select the area of interest using any of the following methods:
Click to select current map extents. This is the default selection method.
Click to draw a rectangular area of interest on the map.
Click to draw a polygonal area of interest on the map.
Click to import a polygonal area of interest from a SHP file. If you draw or import the area of interest, it displays as a boundary box.
6. Browse available datasets for the selected area of interest using My Content, My Groups, Organization, and Public filters.
See the ArcGIS Online Help to understand how to find and work with your ArcGIS Online content. If you do not see any available datasets, try zooming out from your area of interest.
7. Select the check box for the datasets you want to bring in. A warning symbol indicates the feature type needs to be specified for the selected layer.
8. In the Layers tab for each selected dataset, check the data layers you want to add to your InfraWorks models.
9. Click this button
10. Select a feature type for each dataset.
The ArcGIS data layer is generated as model objects in InfraWorks using the feature types you selected.
11. Click Add to Design Project
The ArcGIS data layers are added to your InfraWorks model as configured data sources.
- Review and modify configuration options in the Data Source panel.
- Feature Type for ArcGIS data cannot be modified once it has been added to InfraWorks. You can delete the data source from the InfraWorks Data Sources panel and add a new ArcGIS dataset.
- If the ArcGIS online data source for an InfraWorks feature is modified, select that data source in the InfraWorks Data Sources panel and click Refresh Data Source. This will obtain updates from the ArcGIS data source and apply updated geometry and attributes to associated features in your InfraWorks model.
Have questions? Contact Applied Software today to talk to an industry expert about putting Esri ArcGIS and InfraWorks to work for you.