Autodesk Inventor contains tools for engineering and design professionals to perform 3D mechanical design, product simulation, visualization, and documentation. Both 2D and 3D data can be integrated into a single design space with free-form, parametric and direct-edit options. A full virtual representation of the final product allows “testing” of its form, fit and function before it’s built. Superior products can be brought to market faster and more economically.
The Inventor 2020 release, which began shipping in February 2019, included improvements to automation, cloud connection, core modeling, and overall performance. For more about Inventor 2020, see the Applied Software blog for “Jump in! The Upgrade is Fine!” Version 2020.1 has additional enhancements.
- Frame Generator – The Copy Properties command is streamlined. The frame manipulator displays the location of your mouse click. Frame members can be mirrored in the Insert and Change dialog boxes or using an icon.
- Design Accelerator – Dialog boxes are enhanced so you can insert a component into the main assembly. The unresolved components icon is now more consistent with the search filter field. Positional representations can be moved and rearranged using drag and drop. You can create a virtual component from the Bill of Materials dialog box. For an indepth explanation, see “About Creating Parts or Virtual parts in Assemblies.”
- Display extended information (Parts tab) and show extended name (tools menu) for modifying and creating sheet metal; pattern, create, surface, and modify for 3D models. After activating the Derived Part and Derived Assembly dialog boxes, they remain active in subsequent sessions of Inventor. The options for part Mirror workplanes are better.
Now control the centerpoint of a hole when using the Hole command. Input is no longer restricted to sketch-based geometry.
When editing sketches, simply click the dimension you want to reference.
- Access the iProperties of a component from the browser content menu.
- The eye-dropper icon in Copy Properties is easier to find.
- Spell Check checks spelling automatically as you type.
- The width of columns in the iProperties Custom tab automatically adjusts to accommodate text. Use the new shortcut to select multiple items to delete.
- A shortcut also exists for selecting multiple folders you want to delete simultaneously in the model browser.
- It’s easier to rename browser nodes.
- The Property Panel is easier to work with, including value edit fields, unfulfilled selections and searches in dropdown lists.
- The drawing browser is enhanced.
- Non-graphic settings options are improved.
- Part and Assembly feature patterns perform better.
There’s a new command for changing a 3D annotation plane or tolerance.
- Faces are inferred from insert constraints and become part of an automatic constraint loop.
- Subassembly components can be part of constraint loops.
- Mate constraints from the constraint loop become part of the stackup.
Export formats have been added: CATIA, Granite and JT 10.4.
Maybe this list whets your appetite to take your firm’s Inventor use to the next level. Contact Applied Software for a quick discovery call to learn how to put Inventor 2020.1 to work for you. If you’re not using Inventor yet, the industry-trained specialists at Applied can be your champion as you innovate your firm’s product design and development processes.