Historically, with every new version of Autodesk software users who are running multi-user (network) versions have needed to download the newer version of the Autodesk License Manager (LMTOOLS). This must be done because the older version of LMTOOLS will not run the newer software, but the newer version of LMTOOLS will run the newer AND older software.
So with every release we find users having to uninstall the older version of LMTOOLS, installing the newer version, and then going through the configure process again. Remember, the older LMTOOLS will not run the newer software, but the newer LMTOOLS will run the older software. Below is a nice little tip on how to update the current version of LMTOOLS without having to uninstall the older version and thus getting your users up and running much faster.
Follow these steps to update the older version. . .
- On the server that is hosting the license manager, launch LMTOOLS.
- Navigate to the “Start/Stop/Reread” tab.
- Check the box next to “Force Server Shutdown” and pick the “Stop Server” button. This will only stop the license manager service and not shut down the server as the syntax suggests.
- When you see the message “Stopping Server” at the bottom of LMTOOLS dialog box, proceed to close LMTOOLS.
- Using Windows Explorer or File Exlorer, navigate to the location of the LMTOOLS and backup these four executable files: adskflex.exe, lmgrd.exe, lmtools.exe and lmutil.exe. If you installed LMTOOLS with the default location then you should be able to find it here:
- For software prior to 2017: C:\Program Files\Autodesk\Network License Manger
- For software 2017 and newer: C:\Autodesk\Network License Manager
- Close LMTOOLS.
- While at the server, download the newer exe files here: 2020 LMTOOLS Update Files. If you get a permission error, save the files to the desktop and then move them into the license manger folder.
- Obtain your new license file and place it in the same location as the current license file.
- Launch LMTOOLS.
- Navigate to the “Config Services” tab.
- Select the “Browse” button next to “Path to the License File” and navigate to and select the new license file.
- Select the “Save Service” button at the top right of the LMTOOLS dialog box.
- Confirm saving the service.
- Select the “Start/Stop/Reread” tab.
- Select the “Start Server” button.
Once complete you should now have the 188.8.131.52 version of the Autodesk License Manager installed. To verify, launch LMTOOLS, select the “Help” pull-down menu, and select “About”. You can find it here: